Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samalia

Technical User
Jun 7, 2005
CA
I'm updating a database, and part of this update involves moving the whole project and database to a new location. I have validated the database and everything runs fine when I do so within the project. But when I build an executable and try to run that it tells me I have a backlink error and program cannot run. I have tried validate and recover, this does not affect the executable. What can I do to make this project run from a different location?

As long as the relative position of the database and project hasn't changed, this should work. Similarly, the relative position of the database (DBC) and its contained tables must not change.

Tamar

I have kept all the relative paths the same, but I continue to get the same error message when i try to run the .exe. Cannot resolve backlink (1976) setcurrentuser, 8 - then it shows the path to the exe and wants to record the error in error files then another popup says that the program cannot run.

In situations you would normally avaoid, the dbf does not store a relative, but an absolute path to the database, which makes it immobile. For example, if the dbc is on another drive (logocal drive) than it's dbfs.

In the IDE, where it works, just open your database and do:
Code:
? DBGetProp("sometablename","TABLE","Path")

Where sometablename is of course some table name of the database.

Does it show a path with a drive letter, or a relative path? (For example it could show the table file name only, if the dbfs are in the same path as the dbc.)

Bye, Olaf.

You might want to double check that all of your tables (and the DBC) are marked as excluded from the project. If any of them are included in the EXE they could have an incorrect backlink.

pamela

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back