Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a calendar from Exchange 5.5 to 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2004
GB
Source email system: Exchange 5.5
Target email system: Exchange 2003
Client email system: Outlook 2000

I'll try and explain my situation as clearly as possible.

We have an existing 5.5 system on an NT4.0 platform. However we are going to build a parallel Active Directory and then move servers across to the AD network.
While we are doing this, we also want to use it as an opportunity to clear out all the mailboxes as, like many others, our users tend to horde their emails.

The initial plan was to simply archive their existing mailboxes in Outlook to a PST. Then create a new mailbox for them in Exchange 2003. This would effectively give us a clean start.

The problem: Our users will obviously need to keep their calendars intact during the "move". We want the user perception to be that their emails have been cleaned out, but their calendar remains as it was.

The only solution I can think of so far is to create the PST from the existing mailbox, then delete all emails from that mailbox, and MOVE the mailbox from the 5.5 server to the 2003 server (assuming they are both in the same exchange organisation).

Does anybody have a better suggestion? I cannot see a way of simply copying all calendar items from a PST to a mailbox calendar. That would be our preferred option if possible!

Thanks in advance guys.

Lido
Development & Reporting
UK

When you create a PST file you can choose in the import which part of the PST you want to import.

There is no problem with this. I have done this several times.

Creat PST of old mailbox.
Configure outlook for exchange and use the import option.

In the import option you will be given the option which part from the PST you want to import into the existing store. Can diver from the new local PST to the Exchange mailbox or public store even (if they have rights). Ask if you need more info :)

With Love & Grtz,

Glippi

** Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them. **

That's great thanks glippi. You can indeed import any part of the PST file back into a mailbox. Nice little tool!

Lido
Development & Reporting
UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back