Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving a 2250 Pc Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecra

Programmer
May 1, 2007
GB
Hi,
Were currently trying to move a 2250 PC Based op console.
Nothing new, same type of cabling, and basically it wont work. It worked fine where it was. Approx 600ft away.
We have verified the cable tests good, tried a few different pairs anyway.
It works perfect straight off the MDF, then moved it to another building approx. 400ft away, wouldn't work on CO cable.
Tried it on a 1000 ft drum of CAT 6 and it worked, so we pulled the CAT6 straight from the MDF to the closet in the building.
Now....it works in the building but only at the end of the newly installed CAT6 cable.
Patch it over to the existing CAT5 to the desk, it wont work.
Tested said CAT 5, works fine, just to be sure we 'pieced' a 100ft length in the closet, it wont work! we tried 3 different 'pieces' of cable some brand new others used, (CAT3, CAT5 and CAT6) checked each one, they were good bits.
Any ideas?
By it doesn't work, I mean it will either say no carrier, or be stuck and wont let you dial anywhere. We've tried 2 different PCS and 2 different units.
I've programmed a new 2250 on a different loop, same result.
Were using 2 TN's and there were PWR Tn's programmed, but I suspect these aren't needed, they don't seem to make any difference.
Thanks

Years ago I remember an issue like this and it was a ground issue not saying that is your issue but similar. I don't believe using CAT 5 is supported but I have done it before for GTE years ago. Good Luck!

Thanks for your reply.
Do you mean a ground on the cable to the desk, or the rs232 ground between the PC and unit?
Thanks

For anyone who is interested, we fixed it.
One of our electronics guys took it apart, and found there are 4 fuses soldered on the board. 1 had blown, I don't understand how it worked at all with a blown fuse, but he said it might be something to do with a internal power amp? Anyway, with a broken fuse it worked on a small piece of cable, but on a lengthy piece with joints no good.

Alls well......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back