Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving 98se to new HDD without losing data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 19, 2003
US
I have a box with 98se and I have been using my old harddrive, I recently bought a new HDD and have been using it as a slave to store data, I want to take out the old HDD and transfer the OS to the new one, is there a way to transfer the OS files without having to partition the new one and losing data that is currently on there, I think I read a post about transfering the I386 files? Is that correct? Any feedback / tips are appreciated

Thanks,
Ryan

HDD manufacturers normally bundle software to do this with the drive. Check the manufacturer website first to see if this is available.

I used Maxtor's software about a year and a half ago and it went off without a hitch on a new drive. You may need to create a new folder to place folders with duplicate names in prior to the transfer.

Skip

Partitioning the drive is the better way. Create 2 drives and move everything to the 2nd partition. Then ghost the old drive to the 1st partition on the new drive.

But this also assumes that you have te 2 programs that would be needed.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

If you want to keep current partitioning structure and data on drive, then probably best just installing a fresh copy of 98 on there - without formatting it of course! (which would obviously mean reinstalling software too - but fresh 98 should give better performance than old). Otherwise - go with Ed's suggestion.

Thanks everyone, I went with Ed's suggestion and it works great

Thanks,
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back