Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving 2003 Cluster to new subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzer

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
GB
Hi,

We are migrating our whole network from one subnet to another. I'm looking to change our 2 node 2003 Cluster now and cannot seem to find the precise procedure to follow. The only doco MS has on offer that I can find is KB230356 but this seems vague and incomplete. Having read the article, I'm more confused.
If I have all resources on Node A, do I change the IP address on Node2 for the public NIC (and is this automatically recognised within Cluster Administrator?), open Cluster administrator on Node2 and then open the cluster using "."???.
Then it says 'Open the IP address resource'. Which resource are they talking about? The Cluster IP resource used for admin purposes or one of my other cluster resources?
Do I open the Cluster IP resource and change it to its new address. Then fail over the Cluster IP address to Node1. Then do I go through all the various IP resources in my cluster groups and change their addresses and fail each group over in turn. Finally, do I then change the IP address for Node A?

If anyone has actually had any experience of changing the IP addresses used in a Cluster, I'd appreciate any help you can offer. The MS article leaves me high and dry IMO!

Since you are re-IPing your subnet, what are your downtime requirements?

If your cluster can be off-line just do the following:
- Set the cluster heart-beat to All communications.
- Bring your resources off-line
- Re-IP your physical NICs
- Re-IP you Cluster IP Addresses in cluster admin
- Bring resources back online.
- Test DNS and WINS changes (if applicable)
- Test Fail-over
- Reset your cluster heartbeat to private.

Since this is a 2003 server a re-boot should not be required when changing the addresses on the physical NICs.

Jesse Hamrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back