Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Movies take up 99% cpu and crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richginge

IS-IT--Management
Dec 24, 2004
GB
I have had a problem with Wmp,realone,VLC - any movie player - that I try to use. It will not play a movie, however it'll take a lovely 99% cpu and nearly crash my computer to a hault. I can hear sound bitty tho but thats about it.

Another problem is that every 'other' reboot of windows my mouse cursor will not move so I have to reboot again for it to work.

Anyone think of any ideas, I have reformated my PC therefore I have a fresh installation of windows, I have tried numerous gfx drivers and mobo chipset.

Pc spec:
AMD 64 3500+
PC3200 512mbx2 PC3200 DUAL
MSI K8N Neo2 nForce3
Tagan 480w PSU
Windows XP Pro SP2
Forceware 77.50 WHQL
nForce 6xx mobo drivers.

Geforce 6600 GT is my gfx.

Sorry to not include it in the same postn - give an edit option ! :p

What type of movies are you trying to play?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Any type, from an .avi to just trying to watch the sample movie that comes with windows :9

Because this has happened since Windows was first installed, I suspect you have a hardware issue. More than likely, your system is overheating.

Take the side of the case off and aim a high-powered fan at the CPU. If the problem still occurs in the same amount of time, then check the memory next. Make sure it's showing in the BIOS as dual channel at 400MHz. You can also try running each stick by itself in single-channel mode to make sure the problem isn't with one particular stick.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Even with no video acceleration, your system should be powerful enough to display a DVD movie. Is the 3D working fine? Recent 3D games will put an even higher strain (and higher temperatures) on your system.

Have you run dxdiag?

nope cpu temp is 43oC and goes max 47oC.

3D games run perfectly fine !

Is there any possibility of a virus, malware, trojan?
Just to make sure and get that out of the way, you could go to trend-micro and let them do a free online scan for you. They will catch things that even good a\virus progs miss, they are especially good at finding trojans. Its worth a shot, you can let it run while at work or doing something else. There is a setting to let it automatically repair any problem it finds. Its pretty safe, i use it a lot and never had a problem.

I have done a full scan and no virus(s) were found or any trojan(s).

What could the problem be :(

How about the ram check that cdogg mentioned. He knows his stuff more than i do.
Lets see now, no virus\trojan, etc, cpu temp is good.

Cdogg thinks its a hardware issue and i think its because of the mouse issue. Do you have keyboard\mouse files that you install or is it a standard setup there? If so you could try uninstalling them and just use standard windows keyboard and mouse install for now, try your movies and see if they work better. If so then the keyboard\mouse install is the culprit.

If that fails, how about uninstalling realone and then give it a try?
Also, you can check the list of executables in task mgr and then google a tutorial on what these executables do. You may find one that doesnt belong there.
Also, when this happens, go to task mgr and see exactly which executables are running real high.

Rich,

Since 3D intensive games run fine for long periods of time, then perhaps it's not a hardware issue.

When you started with a clean install of Windows XP, did you try running video before applying all the updates off of Microsoft's website? More importantly, did you test it before installing any software apps? There might be a conflict going on somewhere...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Make sure you have the latest drivers for the video card

I remember never being able to play DVDs with a Radeon 9100, which is normally very good at it. I installed a 9600 and everything played fine. It was a software bug, related I think to registry entries that never gets cleared when the drivers are uninstalled.
I don't how good the registry cleaning tools are these days, but somehting to try would be to remove the graphics card and any related driver. Install a cheap card. Then clean the registry, and go back to reinstalling the original graphics card.

Ok, I still have the problem.

Anyone have any more ideas ?

Well actually, we had questions! [LOL]

See above

~cdogg

I know i had quite a few.

I did try it before I installed any applications and software and the same problem occured.

I have not tried to clean my registry or anything as I have no idea how to do that :(

I have the latest ForeWare drivers, and I do not have an older card to put into my system to try that.

Gah can't edit.

I have also done numerous ad-ware and virus scans and I am clean so the problem is not in that area.

I have tried installing numerous other players but all fail miserably with the same problem. Players which I have tried are : RealOne, VLC, WMP, DvD Player.... and others which I forgotten their name :p

Rich,

Cleaning the registry and all that doesn't matter because you "claim" that the problem still occurred right after you clean installed Windows.

You would think that maybe you had a bad video card, but like you said, games work fine. So it's really hard to say that you have a hardware issue.

I don't know what else to suggest except that you try another format/reinstall of Windows and troubleshoot this all over again with nothing buy Media Player installed.

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back