Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

movies compatible with dvd player

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiya5150

Technical User
Feb 22, 2004
US
i'm looking to buy a portable dvd player, and in most of the specs it says that it's compatible with dvd-r discs for video and cd-r only for audio. i have many files in avi format which i would like to watch on the player. is there any way to burn it on cd (i don't have a dvd burner) so that it can be watched on a portable dvd player OR is there one specific player that will accept avi or mpeg?

Try going to this site

and click guides. It's very informative on DVD authoring.

As for a DVD burner, they are soooo cheap right now. I just seen a 8X DVD Burner at Fry's electronics for $60. I paid $300 a year ago for a Sony 4x. Another Tip, don't apply CD/DVD labels to your media. They only weight down the CD/DVD and cause the motor, especially on portable DVD, to get overworked and not play. A sharpie works the best.

I have seen some DVD players that support things like MP3,Picture CD's, and MPEG2 Format. Every DVD Player has its own list of supported formats.

Sony has a new DV Drive that is separate from a PC and can record DVD from a VCR/DVD. You may find some other devices. I think Sony also makes a protable DVD Player about the size of a Softball.

Sony DVPPQ2 Portable DVD Player

This is a player with no screen.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Check the specs on the portable and see if it will play a vcd or svcd format. If it does you can convert the .avi's to .mpg's and burn them to these formats in nero.

Yep, that's right. All you need to do is make sure the DVD player supports VCD (SVCD would also be nice, but not necessary).

If the player supports CD-R music, then chances are it's going to be able to read a CD-R VCD. You can use Nero or Roxio to make the VCD, but in the past VCDEasy worked even better for me. Back then it was free, but I'm not sure that it is now. This site covers it all in more detail and has a list of tools:

The important thing to pick up is the fact that VCD requires MPEG-1 files (VHS quality). SVCD and DVD use MPEG-2 compression which is usually set at much higher bitrates and take up more space. A 74-minute CD-R will hold 74 minutes of an MPEG-1 file formatted in VCD.

[blue]Note: I've noticed that CD-RW discs work better than CD-R's on some DVD players. So if you try a CD-R on whichever player you buy and it doesn't work, then try to record the same video to a CD-RW.[/blue]

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back