Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

movie speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellabrown

Technical User
Jun 26, 2001
US
I'm fairly new to flash and I have a general question. The default rate for flash is 12 f.p.s but during playback I see a lower value at times. Is there a way I can maintain a constant frame rate during playback so I avoid a choppy movie? Thanks in advance.

don't think the frame rate is changing from one rate to another..probably what is happening is that in certain areas of your movie you have to many tweens(or whatever)going on at the same time..try going to view bandwith while your in test movie mode and see if you can locate where your problems areas are..once you do that you can go in and adjust acordingly..that would probably be the first thing to do..like i said(though i could be wrong)i think it is impossible for the movie to change from one rate to another..seems that your processor is having difficulties with certain parts of the movie..

hope that helped..
e.gif

carlsatterwhite@endangeredgraphics.com

virst is right, there is absolutely no way that a flash movie will change frame rate. i deliberately tried to do that, but soon i learned that it is quite impossible. Could be a problem with your computer, or if u r viewing it from the net, your connection specially if u didn't put a preloader in it. :cool:

biggie X-)

I believe both of you but let me re explain my problem so we're all on the same page. When I play the movie by simply hitting enter, the frame rate box which usually says "12.0 fps" will drop to a lower value a certain points during playback. Now, based on what you've both said there may be a problem with my computer. I have a G4 with 640 mb of ram and I have allocated 200 mb to Flash 5. Do you suggest that I re install the program? Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

well as far as that i have no idea what you are talking about..if i click on a swf once to select it..then hit enter to play..i see no frame rate box? now if i go to test movie view bandwidth i see the fps running at 12 or whatever you have the movie set at..now when you are watching the playback and you see the fps change to a lower number it is not flash..it is more than likely that you have to much going on in the movie at that certain spot where it bogs..the viewbandwith option in the test movie mode would show you where your problem is..try going to the problem frame(or frames) and see if you can work out the problem..

why don't you post a link to the swf so we can see if we have the same problem?
e.gif

Does this happen with any file? Open another .fla (heavy as I expect your's to be - from a dowloaded tutorial or something!), to see if the same thing happens!
If it doesn't slow down... It would point to your .fla, and not to your application or machine.

Macs! Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!

;-)

virt2001,

When I speak of seeing the frame rate, I'm talking about simply hitting "enter" while the file is open. You're correct in saying that there is no frame rate visible when you "test movie" unless you have the bandwith option visible. I tested in with the bandwith option as you suggested and I see that certain frames are above the red line. I think the answer to this question is obvious but I'm going to ask anyway; In these frames in question should I simplify what's happening? I actually don't have any tweens in the movie. I have keyframes with one symbol in each playing one after another.

oldtemp,
I do have the same problem in another file, but it's not nearly as noticeable.

will you post the link?
e.gif

If you don't have any tweens what are the symbols? 1200*1200 high quality jpgs? Or a lot of gradients use?
Have you tried, double-clicking the swf's icon itself outside of the application? I've noticed sometimes, the movie will slow down while using Test Movie, but will run more smoothly from the Flash Player.

Each time you test your movie, an swf is outputed and ovewrites the last one. It would be in the same directory as your fla. No need to use Publish... If you didn't know!

;-)

I'll try to put it on the net so you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks.

Interesting topic. One simple question though: from the very beginning I've set the speed as 20 fps instead of 12. Is that good or bad? I mean, does the setting depend on certain rules?

Thanks,

dartali

i'm guessing it's all in what you are looking for..i think i heard someone before mention that 12fps is usually good for the web..but i can't remember..there could be rules i guess..i'm just not sure what they would be!
e.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back