Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move Windows 2000 Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

aBill

MIS
Sep 24, 2002
US
Hello...

Ok, here is the deal. I have a series of shares on a Windows 2000 server that need to be moved to another volume. The shares comprise about 30 gig.

I need to copy all of the contents to the new volume, then recreate the shares to point to the new volume. Whats the best way of doing this? I know XCOPY can move the files, and PERMCOPY can coppy the share permissions, but is there a utility that will recreate the shares identical to the old ones?

backup and restore should preserve the NTFS permissions.

Yeah, you are right. What I am looking for though is something to actually move and recreate the shares.

Copy the files, and then create the share at the new location or repoint the share.

What you could do is write a batch file to do the copy (or xcopy) of the shares and follow that up with NET SHARE to recreate the shares. It would depend on how many shares you are actually copying across. If there are a substantial amount then writing the batch file becomes a bit of a pain - although I've done this for over 1000 users by producing the batch file in excel. Mind numbingly boring work but only took half an hour.

Hope this helps

bob

using scopy /o /a /s
will retain all shares and permissions

Intriging.. Where do I find SCOPY? I do not see it anywhere and it is not in the path.

I've used Hyena to do this in the past ( it's free trial for 30 days (although it's cheap enough to buy!). it allows you to drag and drop shares between servers and maintains the share permissions. It does some other neat stuff to.

Thanks for the help, but SCOPY is not a Win2000 tool. Looks like XCOPY is the replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back