Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move users from one domain to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

spelltwister

Programmer
May 12, 2005
US
Hey,

I have two servers, one called Magnum, one called NTSERVER. The new plan is to move everyone to Magnum and demote NTSERVER to just a file server (the plan will probably change yet again, but hopefully it won't). Is there a way to port everyone from NTSERVER to Magnum without going in by hand and readding everyone??

Magnum is a windows 2000 server and NTSERVER is ... windows NT.

If you need more info, please lemme know.

Thanks,

Mike

Online multiplayer strategy games huh? Try, 1483online.com where the games are FREE and the community drives enhancements to the game. ;-D

Well this changes things from your previous thread, unfortunately. You didn't specify that NTSERVER was Windows NT (4.0 I presume?)
Dcpromo is not an option on NT 4.0. If I remember correctly, only a re-install of the operating system can change an NT 4 PDC or BDC to a member server.

As far as moving users, I'll have to look into that one.

Thanks.

Well, you can safely disregard everything from the other thread you started on this subject.

If NTServer is NT4, then you could upgrade it to W2K Server and maintain user accounts, etc., then migrate them to your Magnium server.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks guys,

I'm reading over the article and I'm gonna go over it with the guy in charge so hopefully we can get this done finally. ;-D

Also, this will work with them being completely separate domains (no higher domain linking them)?

Thanks,

Mike

Online multiplayer strategy games huh? Try, 1483online.com where the games are FREE and the community drives enhancements to the game. ;-D

I believe you need to set up a trust between the 2 domains, if one does not exist already. This should be outlined in the article.

I think that is the case whether you leave it as NT 4.0 or if you upgrade it to Win2K as lander215 suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back