Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move to Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2002
CA
We currently have an NT4 network with the following servers (25 users):

1. File Server + Primary Domain Controller
2. Exchange 5 Server + Backup Domain Controller
3. Maximizer database server
4. Print Server
5. MSSQL Server
6. Web Server
7. Spam Filter (X-Wall) running on an XP desktop

We have 3 Dell 2550 dual 1GB processor, 1GB RAM, 60GB raid 5 drive machines we want to use to replace the above servers.

Is the following an OK configuration?

1. Web Server (new Server or upgrade existing server)
2. Exchange 2003 + X-Wall
3. MSSQL + Maximizer + Filemaker
4. File server + Domain Controller + print Server

One of the servers would need to handle backups also.

Thanks,

...Dave

I wouldn't put anything with the MSSQL or the Exchange. Both are major memory hogs and will want to use every byte of memory for them selves. Especially on servers with only 1GB of memory.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

How does Small Business Server get away running Exchange and MSSQL on the same server?

...Dave

Small business assumes a very small shop, and very small systems. I don't know anyone that recommends running an exchange server or sql server on the same server as anything else.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]

Hi Dave, sounds technicaly feasible.
As an alternative to putting multiple pieces of database software on one box you could use virtual PC on one of the boxes and run three instances. This would solve any memory hogging that SQL has as it would be running on it's own virtual instance.
Exchange server would be fine running with X-Wall, I have worked at a office with a similar configuration with 150 users and no issues.
We run file, print and DC on the same box with no problems :)

Ant

I would use the older machines for everything but the SQL, Filemaker, not familiar with Maximizer. Purchase a new server for the SQL, the increased employee efficiency over a 5 year period will more than pay for it.

I have a few clients with with FSMOs running SQL 2000 mainly for Great Plains, no problems. Three setups are basically the same. 3 Ghz single processor, 2 gig ram, hardware raid 5, 4 drive array, hotspare drive, 15k drives. The servers run Symantec CE, Veritas backup Exec, APC UPS software, Executive Software's Undelete, Diskeeper plus a few other server resident programs; services... DNS,DHCP,WINS,Terminal Server admin mode. The servers are used as general purpose file servers, one partition for the OS, one for data; bloody fast/stable. A 1 Ghz machine will not suffice for SQL, not if you need speed. As the others, I would never use Exchange and SQL on the same machine, besides the web server and exchange should be in a firewall DMZ. SQL's memory appetite can easily be controlled through SQL's Enterprise manager; I limit SQL to 1.2 gig of the server memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back