Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

move to 64 bit ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjmorse

MIS
Jun 2, 2004
US

Any and all comments on 64 bit computers and your opinion of their future would be appreciated. We ordered 3 out of about 15-20 new desktop systems and so far, we have found 2 applications that just won't run under 64 bit.
What is your opinion of how soon 64 bit will become mainstream and problems you've run into running 64bit machines??

Thanks for all your feedback.

Well, the Athlon64's are compatible with 32-bit kernel operations which are emulated (run a little slower), so perhaps that won't be an issue?

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Maybe they were 16 bit programs??

WindowsXP has a compatability mode.

What version of windows are you using? Are you using a 64 bit OS or what? What are the applications? Some programs did not work between Windows XP SP1 and SP2.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

As a side note, many future MS products will be ONLY 64bit.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

When I was involved in testing the x64 versions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, there were very few programs that we actually had problems with. Those were usually 16-bit programs (which didn't run at all on the x64 OS) or 32-bit programs that used 16-bit installer programs. Pretty much all other application software worked just fine.

Getting drivers that worked with the OS (drivers have to be 64-bit) was a little harder. Older hardware generally wasn't supported and newer hardware often times didn't have all of the features of the 32-bit drivers. I quit running the x64 version of Windows XP a couple months after the product went gold, mainly due to lack of full-featured drivers.

Windows Vista will have a 64-bit version available, and that is expected to be the start of the real 64-bit push by Microsoft (as their application software will finally be available in a 64-bit version by then).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back