Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move System Attendant Mailbox - Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpideySMJ

Technical User
Mar 25, 2002
US
Running Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server, SP1 for Exchange, in an Active/Passive Cluster setup. I had two Information Stores setup on this server (Store1 and Store2). Recently I started getting some intermittant errors on Store1 saying that there was some corruption. It recommended doing some defrags, repairs, etc. but said that may or may not solve the problem. The error recommended moving the mailboxes to a new store/server if possible. So I created a new Information Store on the same server and moved all the mailboxes out of Store1 into Store3. The only mailboxes left were system mailboxes and System Attendant. It won't let me use Move Mailbox to relocated the SA mailbox. Is there any way to move the System Attendant mailbox to the new store? I'd like to move it and delete Store1. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

"I reject your reality and substitute one of my own.

Instead of trying to do it through ESM, move them trough ADUC. ESM in Exchange 2003, a new "feature" that prevents the movement of system mailboxes will prompt you and an event 9660 will be logged in the application log.

Why are you trying to move them? Dismount the database, then move or delete the edm and stm files. When you mount the database, you'll get a warning that the files are missing. Click through this and exchange will create a fresh new, albeit empty, database. Mailboxes that are homed on the db will work, they'll just start out empty. It's the same as when doing a dial tone DR scenario.

So will ADUC actually move the mailbox and not cause a problem?

I'm trying to remove the database because of some errors I was getting saying it was corrupt. There were roughly 200+ mailboxes on there. Are you saying I should delete the store, re-create it, and move the mailboxes back? Either way I still need to move the SA Mailbox off.

You've moved all the mailboxes off except the SA.

Now, dismount the store and delete the edb and stm files. When you mount the store, a fresh blank one will be created. The SA mailbox will still be on the store, although it will be initially empty.

At this point you have a brand new database (for the first store) and the only mailbox on it is the system attendant. The homebdb attribute still points to the first store. The mailbox will be initially empty. You can move the 200 (from the second store) back if you want to, or leave them in the second store; the choice is yours.

If your intent is to replace the first store with a clean one, and the SA mailbox is to reside on the first store in the end state, then this method will meet these objectives.

Movemailbox (ESM)
Movemailbox (ADUC)

In the dial tone recovery method, you move the db files and mount blank stores. You then restore to an RSG or mount the moved db in an RSG and merge the mail into the blank mailboxes. This has the effect of immediately restoring mail flow, and restoring all mail within a few hours.

I tried this on a test box and was unable to get the SA Mailbox to show back up. Everything seems to be working fine, but the SA Mailbox is nowhere to be seen.

I also tried using ADUC to move the mailbox but I can't even find it using that tool.

I assume I'm doing something wrong. Are there any other options?

Disregard, I was just impatient. It just appeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back