Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move SMS 2003 to a New Domain Questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorySabre

Technical User
Feb 14, 2002
CA
Hi All,

Our company is currently preparing for some reorganization/changes in the coming months (certain business units sold to another company), which includes changing the domain name. We're currently in just the planning/information gathering phase. Since I look after our SMS 2003 SP3 environment, I need to begin making plans on what effect this will have. I did a quick check and found that changing domains and/or domain names is not supported and that I would need to rebuild. (
Since it looks like I'll need to rebuild our SMS environment when we change domains, I had some questions that I was hoping those with experience may be able to help me with please. A little bit of info on our environment. Currently we are using SMS 2003 SP3 and it is only used at the this office. (All SMS Site Systems servers located here) SMS is running in Advanced Security Mode. There are just over 1000 SMS clients.

1. Is there an easy way to backup all the custom Queries, Collections, Reports, and Packages and restore them easily after I rebuild SMS on the new domain? I know you can export objects for Collections, Reports and Queries, but any custom folders that I may have placed them in will be all lost. I don't know/can't find if this function exists for Packages/Programs. I'm hoping I don't need to recreate all the packages/programs.

2. Given that I need to rebuild our SMS infrastructure, I guess it would make more sense to rebuild with SCCM 2007. Would all the exportable items (Eg. Queries) from SMS 2003 import directly into SCCM 2007?

3. Since many of our client PCs will need to change domains as well, would it be best to uninstall the SMS 2003 Advanced Client before installing the SCCM client in the new domain or can I install the new client on top of the old client in the domain and all the clients automatically point to the new SCCM server?

These are just some of the preliminary questions I have. If anyone has already gone through one of these company reoganization/changes with SMS, I welcome your expertise on things I should keep my eyes on as well.

Many thanks in advance!

VictorySabre,

I am faced with a similar situation, we would like to migrate/move an existing SMS 2003 installation from one domain, into a new Active Directory forest and domain. The blog post you referenced indicates this move/migration is likely not going to be possible. Have you been able to find answers to the questions you've posted in this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back