Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move SBS 2003 w/ Exchange to Temporary Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivang

ISP
Mar 15, 1999
US
Due to low space on Drive C, I would like to move my current SBS 2003 w/Exchange to a temporary server long enough to rebuild the current server.

I see there are several paths to accomplish that task, but which would be the better path?

Well, which paths are you seeing? Here are three common ones:

- Use Shadowprotect to snapshot your C: drive. Restore that same image to a larger drive connected to another system. Swap out the larger drive with the smaller drive on your SBS server. Downtime - maybe 2 hours.

- Use ShadowProtect to take a snapshot of your server and temporarily run it in a VM on another system while you add more storage to your existing server. Snapshot the VM when you are ready to migrate back and restore it to original hardware. - Downtime - maybe an hour when moving stuff around.

- Use Smbmigration.com's techniques to do a "swing" to the same hardware. This will involve bringing in a temporary server, joining it to the domain, running DCPromo on it, fiddling with ADSIedit, wiping the original server, reinstalling SBS 2003 on original server, joining it to existing domain, etc. It will accomplish what you are trying to do. Downtime - as long as it takes to reinstall SBS 2003 on your original hardware. Most of the initial prep work is done while production server is online.

Dave Shackelford MVP
ThirdTier.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back