Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move RAID-5 drives to a new server

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
FI
Old Server:
IBM X235
ServeRAID 6i
3x73,4GB , RAID5
Suse 9.1 Pro

New server:
IBM X236
ServerRAID 6M

Is it possible to take the harddrives from the X235 and put them in the X236 and just push power button?
The OS is installed on the RAID5 package...
Does Suse use different drivers for the 6M controller?

It would save me a greate deal of time if i didn't need to reinstall the OS.

Since you are moving them to a new server with a different raid controller, you will still need to run ServerRAID in order for the controller to "import" existing Raid Configuration (you would need to do this even if the raid cards were the same). As far as the server is concerned it will see new drives

I would not import your configuration from a 6i to a 6m card. It is different technologies. Your configuration was built with the 6i and trying to import it to the 6m will not be pleasent.

You all also talking about 2 different servers. Which most likely means different chipsets and stuff like that. Your OS may work but it will not work optimal since it does not have the correct drivers for the new server.

You can certainly try to do all that but most likely you will end up having to reload any way or spend a lot more time then it would have taken to reload trying to fix every thing.

And by the way, if you do try to import the config from the 6i to the 6m and it screws things up don't bother calling IBM support because there is nothing they can do for you other then tell you you should not have done what you did. It is totally unsupported.

Hi IBMTech, I agree with you but I do recall doing this last year on an x345 (moving from a 6i to a 6M)with no ill effect, of course we had to make sure that the driver was installed under Windows (Win2K)prior to performing the migration. But you are correct in the sense that I don't think it would be supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back