Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move RAID-0 Array to new controller and rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsphone2

Technical User
Jun 4, 2008
US
Hi, I have a six-disk SATA RAID-0 array that is currently attached to my motherboard's Intel RAID controller. I just bought a RocketRAID 2320 8-port SATA RAID controller that I would like to move the array over to for a number of reasons...better performance in RAID-5 mode, multi-OS support, etc. Obviously I need to back up the entire array before doing any of this, but is it possible to somehow migrate the array over to the RocketRAID card and have it recognize it as it was striped on the Intel controller? Or am I just dreaming(and hoping I dont have to copy all of these backups back)?

Thanks!

I think you're dreaming. It's possible sometimes between RAID controllers in the same manufacturer's family that they can read the configuration off the disks and boot right up and then your change the configuration. But between different controller manufacturers - not so much.

Regarding your statement, I'm not sure you're going to see better performance with RAID 5 vs. RAID 0. I'd think it would be the other way around, but there are certainly benefits to RAID5, redundancy being number 1

Ya, I know RAID-5 wont be any faster, but it would be nice to have some redundancy. The HighPoint guys are claiming pretty good speeds in RAID-5, but I'll have to test it before I commit to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back