Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move R55 to a new External IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

alweb99

Programmer
Sep 9, 2002
GB
Hi

Total LINUX newbie I'm afraid (I know Checkpoint well enough to admin it), so be gentle with me.

Am moving premises on Friday night and will be using a new external IP address. Checkpoint R55 is running on a single Red Hat 7.2 box.

I have updated my licences on Checkpoint.com to reflect the new IP and have downloaded these.

Question 1.
I need to know how to change the IP address of the External IP Nic, I have looked at the file ifcfg-eth0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-config this clearly shows my existing external IP. Is this the only place I need to change the IP in Linux, and is there an easy way to edit this? - Total Linux Newb remember!!! ;-)

Question 2
I know I need to change the External IP in Smart Dashboard - Checkpoint gateway - General properties, and also ensure the IP changes in the Topology tab. I am also going to use Smart Update to put the new licenses on Am I missing anything else?

All help appreciated, dont assume I know what I'm talking about ;-), sorry if this has been asked before, i have searched, but nothing found thats dead right.

Al

you should edit the file using vi, remember you will need to reboot for the ip change to take effect.

You can change it by doing
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 new ip
ifconfig eth0 up

but changing it in the ifcfg file and rebooting will ensure the change survives a reboot later on.

Don't forget you will probably also need to change your default route!

Hi there stooo, thanks for clarifying the IP change, how would I change the default route, your right when I run ROUTE it is currently set to the external IP.

Is there anything else I could miss? I'm paranoid that this is going to be more of a job than it looks, and I'll be pulling whats left of my hair out at 3am on Saturday morning ;-)

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back