Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

+++Move Networker Server and Storage Nodes +++

Status
Not open for further replies.

goeze

Technical User
Jun 29, 2000
DE
Hi all,
we want to move our networker server from our solaris system to a hpux system, then we want to migrate the storage nodes (alsso from solaris) to our hpux systems.The hostnames will change for the networker server and also for the storage nodes. So what would be the best way to do this???
Some say it would be the best to keep the hostnames,because when we would change the hostname there would occure many problems, especially with the storage nodes (e.g.devicename).
But I don't think so.
I think we have to correct the configuration for the devices.
Can Networker work with hostaliases?
I mean following:
hostname1=HP-NAME
alias = SUN-NAME (old Storage Node Name or NW Server Name)
Would this work?

Maybe anyone has an idea?
This for your help.

Elif

Yes, in general. However, i would not recommend it. And under no circumstance i would change the hostname of the
NetWorker server. This could cause problems in many areas
as NetWorker uses it a lot in the resource files.

What you are mentioning is only refering to the question:
"Can i recover files from a non-existing client ?"
Yes you can, but to be able to do this, you must not even
change the alias.

to 605

thank you for the info, but as it looks we have to reconfigure our jukebox because all drive paths change - solaris has different naming conventions than hp ux.

Only the clients would be affected. And all our clients are configured to use the /nsr/res/servers file, which could be adjusted in advance. The next point would be the storage nodes - which could be adjusted in advance too. Our clients only save to storage nodes, not to the server. This is because of our cluster design.

My fear is that if the new machine gets the name and ip of the old server all our routers will send the packets to the wrong destination. (ARP Cache)

Any further ideas?

OK, i did not mention the devices, because nobody expects these names to be the same.

The clients are configured on /nsr/res/nsr.res (assuming
that you still run NW 6) - the servers files only lists the NW server that are allowed to control/backup this client.
Or you can also say: servers contains the server names this
client is listening to.

I do not know about the ARP Cache but a lot of customers
have done this is in the past. Of course it would not make
sense to keep both online at the same time.

In general, i do not see any problem to exchange the name
'globally' but be aware of the volume names which of course not change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back