Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

move/migrate files from Sharepoint to livelink 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

codechamp

Programmer
Nov 4, 2013
US
Hi everyone,

I would like to know whether anyone has experience in migrating files from sharepoint to livelink.
Kindly share the possible approach ..

We are supposed to migrate LIST, CALENDARS and WORKFLOWS from sharepoint to livelink

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a OT product called AGA(a.k.a CLM services?)

If not you will have to code the migration using LAPI,webservices or oscript.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Thanks appnair ! We don't have OT product AGA.

Can you suggest the efficient way among LAPI and webservices, As i don't have experience in sharepoint can you please share the steps to do so. From sharepoint side what are the required things to be done.

Thanks much

I do not know SP that well but for what its worth SP is a .NET friendly environment.Frankly what the OT people have done is basically created plumbing conduits based on LAPI libraries(what is available to you and me and many more so think of it as a very high wrapper). In their implementation they move content to and fro between the two environments so both benefit from each other.I have not seen a solution where you use the AGA product to retire livelink or vice versa that is because each of these systems have made NON INTER OPERABLE objects.An Inter operable object may be a document is a document in SP and livelink.Livelink does not have lists or its implementation so you will aether have to map or create functionality To give you an e.g a WF in livelink is a workflow,but you cannot take a Livelink WF map and make it work in SP and vice versa.

So having said that if I were you I will 'Expose' the webservices in your livelink basicaly a 15 to half hour job.Then you would need some starter samples.The web is plenty with that.I would even use a try before you buy product like SOAP UI so you can even practice what your code should be like before you write.

Then if I am successful in doing that I will select a language of my choice and start progressing.Your job as you may soon realize will become less technical and more operational/functional.

I won't advice you to pursue LAPI as it is in a deprecated status

Just put this on another post but there's a product from ECM Wise named SharePoint to Livelink Records Archival Tool (SLRAT).
It moves docs, lists and wiki's from SharePoint to Livelink Content Server. It's a low cost solution and pretty simple to use.

Hi Notrut - We are not supposed to use any external tools.. Thanks anyway :)

Hi appnair -
I need an advice on how to implement this migration using CLM services.
i got Open Text CLM Services for SharePoint.msi from OT knowledge center. Our LL server is in UNIX ,Whereas i couldn't find UNIX CLMSP_10.3.0_UX.tar in OT KC.
Do we need to purchase it from OT? Or where can i download it?

please advice

Thanks!

There is an oscript module that goes into livelink,then the MSI is installed in the SP server and you basically give a "High Priv SA"
connection to livelink.Then I would spend some time reading the use cases such as do you want interactive archiving,sched archivng ,search integration and so on.

I am very experienced in livelink so I did not face many challenges in SP and I do not know anything in that interface.Mine was a very pleasant experience so if something which says should work and does not work you should give support a call.

There are several easy plumbing checks you can do to see if you are progressing correctly

Hi Appnair,

Thank you..
Can you please clarify that how does an file archived from sharepoint looks like in livelink, Consider if an workflow or list is archived in livelink using CLM ,will it be fully working condition as it is in SP.

Thanks much !

If you are using AGA, or the SAP integrations, then the content is managed as presented as though its an intergral part of the source system, so in your case SharePoint.

Greg Griffiths
Livelink Certified Developer & ECM Global Star Champion 2005 & 2006

In most cases the content in sharepoint is replaced by a internet shortcut a.k.a URL so if you pulled it from SP interface it will work.

If you opened it from livelink it will come up with a standard windows dialog of a dialog and say "what do you want this link to open with"

Integrations all work this way.In the AGA place what you are essentially getting a better storage experience/better RM capabilities.

It simply is not designed to work when the source system where content originates is not present

In simple words a word document stored in SP or archived thru AGA will still open if MS Word is on the client computer

and there ends the comparison.

Thanks appnair & ggriffit,

My specific requirement was to migrate SharePoint default workflows to Livelink workflows and make sure the functionality remains
the same.Whether this can acheived via CLM or we need to recreate the worklfow manually in Livelink,Kindly advice.

Regards,
CodeChamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back