Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move mailboxes to new site

Status
Not open for further replies.

ywng

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2000
HK
Currently our company is splitting into two companies, we have to move a large numbers of mailboxes which are located at different servers under the existing site.<br><br>We are planning to use Exmerge utility to move a group of mailboxes to the new site each time in a long period. And the old mailboxes are hidden. The new company had its own SMTP domain and it was already set as inbound domain in the existing site. The problem we found is that we cannot transfer the SMTP domain to the new site immediately for a long period project. We have to set the alternate recipient in the old mailbox to forward all SMTP mail to the new mailbox.<br><br>Is there any problem if we have same SMTP address both in the old and new mailbox? (For the case we only set SMTP inbound domain in the existing site) Once we have moved all mailboxes to new site, is it possible to set the SMTP inbound domain to the new site and force the directory replication to update this chance?<br><br>Anyone has experience on it and could give us advice.<br><br>Regards,<br>Woo

If i were in your situation i would set up the new site and create custom recipients for the new site (if it is another SMTP domain name). If it is the same domain name i would set up the new site with the existing configuration and then when finished repoint the DNS MX records to the new server. <br><br>Regards<br><br>Lars

Yes! The new site has its own SMTP domain, and it's currently hosted on the old site. You mean we have to delete the old mailbox and create custom recipient to point to the new mailbox in the old site after transferred mailbox to new site? Is there any advantage comparing with setting alternate recipient in the old mailbox and then hidden it? For both case, which one requires less administrative task?<br><br>Moreover, I concern about the task of transferring the inbound domain to the new site. Since both site are not directly connected to internet. We have another site with internet mail service connected to internet. As a result, all SMTP mail should pass thro' a few site connectors for reaching internet. So it's important to confirm that directory replication should be able to update inbound domain changed.<br><br>Regards,<br>Woo<br><br><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back