Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

move mail from "sent" folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPink

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2007
DE
Is there a way to move or copy a mail from the sent folder to another folder? The only thing I can do, is to copy it, but if I delete it at the new location, it gets deleted from the sent folder as well. It has to remain in the new folder, without being "connected" to the mail in the sent folder.
I know it's possible to "send and file" new mail, but I have a lot of old sent mail I would like to save/archive.

Real life needs a mucical score.
------------------------------------
Dr. Pink isn't in today, he's gone insane!

You're making a mistake on the functionality. The Sent folder is not a folder, it is a view. A view in Notes lists all documents that correspond to a given criteria defined by design - in the case of the Sent view, it lists all documents that have been sent.
Deleting a document from a view effectively deletes it from the database.
A folder is a different design functionality. A folder holds all the documents that the user puts in it. That is why a document can be put in more than one folder, or moved from folder to folder.
But a view is not a folder, and a document will show up in the view if the view design calls for it.

To summarize : you cannot remove a document from a view without deleting it from the database, which will also remove the document from all folders and views that it might be in.

If you want to archive your mail, all you have to do is create a mail archive. Go to Tools/Archive Settings and define the archiving criteria, then apply when ready.

Pascal.

I've got nothing to hide, and I'd very much like to keep that away from prying eyes.

I'm with Dr Pink on this. I have no problem with Sent being a view, but if I want to use folders to classify messages then I want to make sure that the relevant Sent items are also in those folders. Yes, I can copy an email to a folder when I send it, but what if I forget? Looking at the Sent view gives me no help in figuring out which Sent items remain to be classified.
By contrast, Outlook enables me to move items out of the Sent folder so I know exactly where I am. Gmail of course enables me to tag items, so again I can see exactly where I am. Notes seems vaguely in the middle, mixing views with folders in an unhelpful way.
If anyone has a suggestion as to how to resolve this I would be very grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back