Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move GW 6.5.6 to new HW considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

organman

MIS
May 12, 2004
SE
I need to replace my hardware that runs GW 6.5.6 on NW 6.5.3.
My idea was to use the NetWare Migration Wizard 8.1 since I need to move both servername and IP address to the new HW.
I have another NW 6.5.3 server in the tree wich holds the master replica.

I need to install NW 6.5.5 on the new hardware and this means that I will have different versions of eDir on the servers,
Will this be problem ?

If I understand the migration process correct I will have to reinstall Groupwise on the new server.
Does this mean that the GW objects that I have in eDir today will be lost ?

If you can get by without the same server name, the easiest and most fault tolerant way to do this would be to bring up the new server with a new name and IP. Get it setup and running good. Copy over the Groupwise database and install the Groupwise files (POA, MTA, Webacc & GWIA). There a a number of TID's that cover this well, search for "Copy Groupwise system to new hardware" and you should fine one or two good doc's.

When you are happy with how the new server is running, shut down GW on the old server and switch the IP's of the two servers. Go into ConsoleOne and change any UNC paths in the Groupwsie objects (they will still be there) and start Groupwise on the new server.

If everything goes well, you can shutdown the old server and remove it from the tree. The only thing you have lost is the server name.

Now, there are a lot of details to cover but you get the idea. I have done this several time and have never had any issues.

Ed

I would agree with eandres.. Don't confuse a GroupWise migration with the same process as a NetWare migration. Trying to do both at the same time may be more than you want to tackle unless you have done it many times in the past.

One of the great things about GroupWise is that moving it is a fairly trivial process, and even the thought of losing objects is something that should never cross your mind.

One clarification on eandreas's post.. The 2nd server should be installed into the same tree. Don't install a separate tree, it's not necessary.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back