Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move from internal to external drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesMack

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
GB
I have recently replaced a tower server with a rackmount. I am now left with an HP 40i internal tape drive. Is there any way to connect a remote tape drive (ie one housed in a workstation) OR is there a conversion kit available to convert an internal drive to an external?

Hi

All you need is a power supply for the tape drive and a cable to reach it.

Until recently I had an external tape drive mounted in a single drive box which had its own power supply and an external cable which attached to the SCSI card via its external connector.

You could use an old pc case to supply the power and the relevant cable to connect the tape drive to your rackmount (not pretty but effective).

Check that the tape drive is self terminating as you will need a termination point on the external scsi chain. If it is not you can obtain termination modules.

I am sure you can get SCSI enclosures which has everything you need. I also saw a rackmount 19" enclosure for a tape drive but it is pricey £376 + TAX which is around $600 it is a 3u rackmount kit from Compaq

take a look.

regards
Andrew
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back