Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

move files to win xp laptop from win98 laptop...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahaMutant

Programmer
Dec 12, 2001
GB
Anyone has some genious way to do this.
XP laptop has got 1 x network, 2 x USB ports, 1 x serial, 1 x PS2, 1 x parallel.
Win 98 laptop has only got 1 x USB port, 1 x PS2, 1 x parallel, 1 x serial, no network port.

I need to move a lot of files. I have tried direct connection with a parallel cable, I can't seem to get it to work, maybe cos I'm not sure how...or I might have the wrong cable...or the BIOS settings [port type] is wrong...

This is very urgent, any help will be MOST appreciated. Thanks in advance. ] always a sucker to the greatest lie of all: will only take a minute [

You might try a cross-over cable. I seem to remember doing this a long time ago.

Since you don't have a NIC in the Laptop you can't use a crossover cable. The simplest is to use the USB connection with this product from Belkin (or one like it), should be available at your local computer store.

----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

Could the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard help you here? I use it just to copy files to CD and transfer them that way.

I think you will have to enable NETBEUI on the xp laptop so they can talk to each other or make sure the 98 one is not using that and using ipx or tcp/ip. me thiks

the lot who suggested anything related to "networks, nic's protocols ..." you must have somehow missed the bit that said: win98 laptop: NO NETWORK PORT. or if not, a network port is the hole in which you plug a network cable...

to the rest, thanks for the info ] always a sucker to the greatest lie of all: will only take a minute [

Using the direct cable option, be sure you have in both PCs the same workgroup and the same protocol (netbeui works fine) and start 1 as client and the other as host... be sure too to enable file sharing on both PCs and share both hard disks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back