Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move DHCP server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklow

MIS
Apr 2, 2001
US
Hi,

My current DHCP server is on an old NT4 box. I would like to move it to a new box with new IP address. How do I do this? Do I need to change client side DHCP address and make them to point to my new DHCP address? If I need to do that, that is a lot of work. I may need to change 200 workstations one by one. Please help!

Thanks in advance!

I would just set up DHCP in the new box. You'll have to have the same Domain Name or Workgroup, which ever you use, and the other machines should log on OK. That's what DHCP does is assign IP Addresses, unless I read your post wrong??
Every day above ground is a GOOD DAY!!!

You will have to be careful when using two DHCP servers at the same time. You would not want the DHCP scopes to overlap. You can add another DHCP server to your network with little effort. The time consuming part is configuring the DHCP scopes.

Having two DHCP servers is a good idea from a fault tolerance perspective. For example, if one DHCP server blue-sceens, the second DHCP server can still offer IP addresses.

If you only want to use one DHCP server in your environment, I would move the database to the new server. First build a new DHCP server. Then follow these steps:

I believe client side is by broadcast.

be careful when moving the DHCP databse with the procedure from I've known DHCP-servers get pretty messed up using this procedure. I'd just recreate the scopes on a new server and let them be deactiveated. Then, using DHCPCMD (an NT4 resource kit tool), import the IP-reservations in the scopes (if there are no reservations, you don't have to do the import of course). Then, deactivate a scope from the old server and activate the corresponding scope on the new server. This should work perfectly as the clients send broadcasts to look for a DHCP server. In the clients event logs, you'll see NACK errors from the old server. Don't worry about those, a client always checks for the last known DHCP server first, doesn't get an IP-address as the scope is deactivated, and then broadcasts for the new server.

Good luck,
Casper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back