Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

move DHCP scope to new PDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pudsey41

MIS
Jun 15, 2002
GB
I have a NT4 sp6 PDC that needs replacing.
I have a new machine and want to move the DHCP scope across to this machine. Is there a nce easy way to do this ??

thanks in advance

HI.

Are you going to do a clean fresh install of the new PDC which will create a new domain?
Or can you simply GHOST the current system to the new hardware?
(you can do it by first installing the correct SCSI drivers on the old PDC and breaking the mirror. It can work).

How many workstations do you have?
How many servers?

One way to do it is simply to configure DHCP on the new server, and then make sure you reboot all workstations - which will probably be done anyway.

See also my answer here about a similar issue:
thread950-435574

BTW - If the current server is not a SBS, it is best to reinstall the new server as a BDC, make sure that replication works, promote the new server to PDC, and then remove the old one.
This will keep the domain SID and info like workstations (NT/2K/XP) membership in the domain, user accounts, etc.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

As long as you don't have a ton of reservations or other junk associated with DHCP, I've found it just as easy to just create the scope on the new server and have the clients reboot the next day.

This is exactly one reason why Linux is easier. Just move a couple of files and start the services. Works with DNS too.

Here is one way:

The above link provides a method for manually moving the database.

Also; MS has a tool that works with Windows 2000. I'm not certain if it works with NT though. It is part of the W2k Resource Kit. I used it to move a W2k DHCP database and it worked like a charm. AJ
SA
HS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back