Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move between Separate Instances of Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacroAlan

Programmer
Dec 4, 2006
US
I figured out how to bring two or more spreadsheets into the same instance of Excel and populate a dropdown with the names of all the workbooks. Everything was working great!

Now I have discovered that the user opens a separate instance of Excel with a spreadsheet from SharePoint. The name of the file apparently increments every few days. I was even able to populate my dropdown with the names of all workbooks in all instances:
Code:
Sub BeginCompileDates()
    Dim xlApp   As Application
    Dim wkB     As Workbook
    On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

For Each xlApp In GetExcelInstances()
        With usrGetFileName
            .cmdFileNames.AddItem xlApp.ActiveWorkbook.Name [COLOR=#CC0000]'wkB.Name[/color]
        End With
    Next
    usrGetFileName.Show
    Exit Sub
ErrorHandler:
    MsgBox "Please report " & Err.Number & vbCrLf _
        & Err.Description, vbCritical, "Uh oh!"
End Sub

What I need to be able to do now is select the instance that does not contain my code and read/search for certain information. This next bit should list the tabs in the selected workbook; not my main workbook.
Code:
Private Sub cmdFileNames_Change()
    Dim TabNm       As String
    Dim Z           As LongPtr
    Dim xlAp2       As Excel.Application
    If Me.cmdTabs.ListCount > 0 Then
        Me.cmdTabs.Clear
    End If
cont:
    Set xlAp2 = GetObject(Me.cmdFileNames.Value).Application
  Debug.Print xlAp2.ActiveSheet.Name & " *" [COLOR=#CC0000]'gets name in THIS workbook[/color]

For Z = 1 To Sheets.Count
        Me.cmdTabs.AddItem Sheets(Z).Name
    Next Z

End Sub
What do I need to do to select the actual workbook from the dropdown? And how do I move between the workbooks while I am searching for the data to be reported??

Alan
[smurf]

Hi

You'll need to use the GetObject() method to set an application object for that instance of that workbook. Then apply that instance to that workbook.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back