Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move an existing file with a VS Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

linmatt

Technical User
May 22, 2002
GB
Hi

I'm trying hard to get to grips with VBS and getting frustrated. Need to get a good beginners book - any suggestions? (I use Excel VBA a lot & a little VB 6). I simply want to be able to move a small text file from one folder in a mapped drive "n:\out" to it's parent "n:\", after typing the file name into an input box. Simple, yes? The inpout box bit works fine, but I can't get it to actually move the file. :0(

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Matt

Got it!

Here is the final code for anyone else who may want it. It's probably not the best but - hey - it works! The main part is a sub cos I want to expand it in the future. This is just the begining.......

'==================================================
' Move EXxxx file for re-export MH 14/07/2003
'==================================================

Move

Sub Move()

dim exFileName, fso

set fso = createobject("scripting.filesystemobject")
exFileName = inputbox("File name","Move file")

If fso.FileExists ("N:\out\" & exFileName) Then

'Move the file to parent directory for export

fso.MoveFile "n:\out\" & exFileName,"n:\" & exFileName

msgbox("File has been moved")

else

msgbox("File does not exist")

exit sub

End If

fso = nothing
exFileName = nothing

End Sub

It moves a 2k text file from a folder to the parent folder, but there are 15,000 of them, and searching isn't hard but is time consuming. This does it in a fraction that time. I do this a lot sometimes, eso this is really going to help!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back