Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse Roller does not work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasche

MIS
Aug 14, 2002
US
When I plug in my mouse, my laptop recognizes the movement and clicking, but not the roller in the middle. This handy feature would be nice to 'get rollin' with my work. Thanks for any help. (Windows 2000)

You probably need to install software or a driver for the mouse.
If you look at the device in system setup you need to have it identified correctly.

Usually if you go with a wheelmouse even the drivers with windows will work.

What kind of mouse is it? Kimber

The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there is to know!

thanks kimber,
unfortunately they don't allow us to download or add software (state government) so i'll have to stick with the scroll bars.

lasche,
Don't you have a computer tech that maintains your computers? Ask that person why the wheel doesn't work and if he is allowed to make it work. If not, then you'll have to put up with it. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

lasche,
try check the following:

First Try: Right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties" from submenu. Then go to "Hardware" tab and click "Device Manager".
From the list, open "Mice and other Pointing Devices" and double-click on the mouse driver (e.g. "Microsoft PS/2 Mouse"). The properties are open now; select the "Advanced Settings" tab. Make sure, that the Options "Assume wheel is present" and "Fast Initialization" are active.

This should do.

Second try: Reboot with the wheel mouse already connected.

Third try: Try a Microsoft Wheel Mouse.

I would appreciate a reply if that worked ;-)

Well, it looks like I am stuck without a roller. I've tried all of those things, and nothing seems to work. It's odd because I can click the roller to bring up the scroller(only in IE) but that still requires me to move the mouse around to do the scrolling. The techs where I work are stumped, but then again, they get stumped quite often! :) That's why I am asking here. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back