Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mouse right-click

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteclen

Programmer
Oct 17, 2001
GB
I have a dynamic menu which displays when the user right-clicks on a field. Fine...until IE6! Now, the default context menu displays on top of my menu.

How can I get rid of it? If I put an alert in the 'onmouseup' or 'onmousedown', then it disappears, but I'm left with the alert. I don't want either!

You shouldn't use the right-click method. This is pretty much reserved for browser/operating system features. Web site navigation should be as easy and intuitive as possible. Most users would never think to use a right-click to access a web site menu because they don't do it anyplace else.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

I agree with "tviman", but you can use "return false;" to try and stop the menu from showing.

MrGreed

"did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said."

Another thought is to use oncontextmenu=false as an attribute to the object your clicking on, not sure if that will work in all browsers though.

MrGreed

"did you just say Minkey?, yes that's what I said."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back