Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse pointer problem in Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPettit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
US
I'm a complete Linux noob and I'm trying out Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 5 in VMWare Player. It runs ok except for a problem with the mouse pointer.

If I move my mouse pointer to the bottom or right edge of the display and then move the pointer back to the desktop, there is another pointer just barely poking out from the edge that I just came from. If I click a mouse button, the pointer disappears from the desktop and the one at the edge of the screen will now move with the mouse. This gets real frustrating, real fast.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I assumed that it was an Ubuntu/configuration problem because another distro I'm experimenting with (BackTrack 4) doesn't have this issue.

VMWare detaches the mouse pointer when you touch the edge of the window and sometimes does not attach it back when you move back into the Desktop area...

This happens on some guests and then not on others... why this is so, I could only guess and then I would probably be wrong...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

As a complete Linux noob, you shouldn't use a beta version. Beta versions are ment to be used by experts, who help ubuntu fix them - not by noobs who need help themselves.

But in this case it sounds like normal VMware behaviour, so I don't expect ubuntu 8.10 to give a different experience.

don't visit my homepage:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back