Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse pointer 'moves' on its own at random intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrywj

Instructor
Jan 16, 2003
GB
The cursor just moves off up a corner, not always the same corner, at iregular intervals.
The mouse has been changed, problem still the same, and I have also tried the USB port, again with the same result:-(
I also downloaded the latest intellipoint drivers. The problem just started, with no new hardware or software installation to 'blame'
Systm is AMD 1500, 256 meg ddr mem, K7S5A mobo, new optical mouse, running in XP Pro.
Suppose it will resolve down to a new mobo in the end, as I fail to see what else it could be. HELP.....
TJ

Always suspect a virus in the most totally wacked-out unexplainable situations. Or else the mouse is faulty & is sending incorrect data to the pc.

I bought a wireless optical mouse and had the same problem. It would randomly disappear and when i "caught" it again it was in some corner of the screen. Really sucked when playing games. I replaced it with and old ball mouse and have had no problems since...Drawing parallels both mice are optical...maybe the laser is the cause?????

optical mice can get fooled if you don't use a mouse pad withan appropriate pattern. Mine will occasionally start to jitter back and forth in a very small pattern very quickly. all i do is move it a bit and all is ok.
maybe your mouse gets fooled differently. change pads see if helps.

Just to add to MrCBofBCinTX:

I have a wood-grain desk that interferes with my optical mouse (causes jumpy cursor behaviour and a shakey pointer). I taped a sheet of white paper to my desk and use it like a mouse pad. Works for me.

Well, I have just dug out an old 'Ball' mouse and stufed it into the PS2 port. As I write the thing has been behaving for almost 24 hours, so I may have 'Hidden' the symptoms, although it is a pain having to revert to 'Non Neutered' mice.....
I can only assume (never a good thing) that there is some minor problem with the supply that the LED in the mouse uses, as 2 optical mice show the same fault, and both mice work fine on the wife's Pc.
Thanks again to all that responded anyway.
TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back