Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mouse pointer going crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackMorris

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
IE

Hi all,

I am having some strange thing with my mouse. When i move mouse the mouse pointer moves to the different points on the screen quickly and opens different windows. I dont click the mouse, the only thing i do is just move the mouse............and here starts the problem the mouse pointer keeps on moving and i cant click anything i want ........... the mouse pointer just keeps on flashing at differnt parts of the screen opening different windows as i said earlier. The problem started two days back. It used to be ok when I restart the computer but now the problem kicks off as soon the computer boots.

For now I have disconnected the mouse and using keyboard to control the mouse pointer.

Can anybody help to get rid of this problem?

jack

Update your AV program with the latest files, and do a virus search.
Also, remove any spyware with either Ad-aware or Spybot.

If no luck, then see if the mouse does the same thing on a different system, or if a different mouse works ok on yours.
If either is true, then replace your mouse.

Is this a cordless mouse? Mine does this whenever the batteries get low. Also, if this is an optical mouse, use on a PLAIN surface. I have one of those "3D" mouse pads (color ridges) and it drives rodents crazy!

It sounds like a prank program more than a virus just look at your task manager for any unusual progs running.

Also could try removing mouse in control panel and letting it reinstall on reboot on off chance driver has become corrupted.

As another hardware check, if you have different type of mouse you could try that. (Use a serial mouse instead of ps2 or viceversa.)

two other comments from quick google reviews
1) there is a four page thread on Dell from assorted folks having trouble with dell systems-no posted resolutions.

2) a few folks linked it to video issues and suggested trying reduced graphics acceleration.

Additional comment here:
My boss called me into his office this morning and showed me his computer screen. View was just jumping downwards without any movement of mouse.

He had tried 3 different mice, no change.
I deleted ps2 port and rebooted no change.

I downloaded and ran spybot-found a bunch of ad cookies and dso exploit. Removed/fixed all items.
Also moved graphics accelerator slider one step to left.

Things were going ok after an hour or so. I suspect it was the grapics slider that made the difference. We'll see if it stays fixed long term.

If it is not your optical mouse battery (try another mouse and see), then get yourself checked for viruses as soon as possible. I always recommend doing an online virus scan as your own antivirus product might be compromised. You could also uninstall and reinstall your antivirus product. Make sure you get the latest updates before you scan at that point. Here are some free online antivirus scan sites you can try:

It wouldn't hurt to hit as well or try the demo version of ATS - A Trojan Scanner to check for trojans.

Absolutely download a spyware product as well and check for spyware/adware and such. Spybot and Ad-aware are excellent.

i am sure that this problem is due to virus. I had also face this problem. As soon as i run the antivirus it removed. but there may be to reinstall the OS.

good luck.

ajay_pipaliya
email:ajay_pipaliya@rediffmail.com
Ph: 98258 24494

If this is an older computer with a serial mouse and internal modem it's possible that you have an IRQ conflict.

If it's a PS/2 or USB mouse, then I agree with the prank/virus theory.

I've seen the same thing. Our fix was updating the video and mouse drivers.

We were running nt 4.0 sp 4. The PC had MouseWare NT installed, but also had IBMs Netfinity installed. There were to Devices (control panel...devices) starting as System devices - MouEX and Mouse Class Driver. By removing MouseWare NT, this allowed only one device driver to control the mouse. The video drivers were S3 Trio, and very outdated. We did both "fixes" at the same time, and I can't conclude which one solved the problem. This has happened on more than one PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back