Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mouse keeps install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ao3

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2010
US
Every time I plug a usb mouse or keyboard into the cpu it goes through a hardware wizard to install the device. If I switch the mouse or keyboard out (due to the desktop is moved from location to location) It goes through the hardware wizard to install the device again. The keyboard or mouse is the same make and model. How can I install the drivers just once and not go through this every time? This is the only model of cpu that does this. All the others install the device automatic without opening the hardware wizard. Any ideas?

What OS? I'm assuming WinXP, Vista, or 7 (my guess is XP).

You could try totally uninstalling the keyboard/mouse drivers, as well as the USB drivers, and let the system redo all that. See if that takes care of it.

Sorry. OS is Win XP.

In BIOS setup, is there any setting for detecting USB, IRQ's? If so, your system might be re-detecting the IRQ's every time you plug a peripheral in. If I change the plug into a different port in my USB hub, the computer will reinstall it! Especially the mouse, as it doesn't us the "default" mouse driver. The software does stay installed - but the computer has to re-detect it if anything is changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back