Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneRage

Technical User
Jan 4, 2005
US
The mouse stopped working..I had an optical with a ps2 connect, it stopped, I bought another, same thing, tried the old usb mouse, didn't work, plugged mice into hubbys machine, they all work (stupid me for buying that other mouse). I plugged in an mp3 to same usb ports and it works, camera works, everything works but the mouse...I tried to check the device manager but it doesn't seem to work without the mouse after a certain point using the ctrl+alt+tab and up and down arrow keys...any suggestions? I hate feeling so un-computer savy.

I am gathering that these are all USB mice? Try them in another USB port, or with a powered hub in between...

try this: in the BIOS set up, make sure that LEGACY USB (USB LEGACY Support) is enabled and see if that makes any difference...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

You did reboot after replacing the PS2 mouse, correct? The PC needs to 'find' the device but USB should be recognized. Reboot anyway.

How about booting into Safe Mode? Press F8 while booting and you should get the option. Is there a cursor in the middle of your screen or none at all?

Lastly which OS are you using?

Tony

In answer to Wahnula, I did reboot after replacing the PS2...I did reboot is safe mode and there is a cursor in the middle and it also changes to an hour glass when the PC is busy...darn mouse just won't move...the USB ones don't move, and the light on the infra red PS2 doesn't even come on indicating it is working...also I am using XP Home Edition.

First, backup your system. If any drivers came with the USB mice then try to load them and see what happens. If it fails...

Try System Restore to a time before you lost mouse-ability. Press the Windows key, use the cursor arrows and Enter to navigate to System Restore Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore

You can also try a repair install to try to regain the function. Put your Windows CD in the tray and reboot. In BIOS, set the CDROM as first boot device. It may already be, so you can try just turning on the PC first. To boot to CD, the dialog "press any key to boot to CD" will appear. Press the "any" key...(feeble joke)...if you have any RAID drivers you should press F6 at the prompt and reload them. Other than that just wait.

You will be presented with a choice to enter the recovery console, pass that and continue to install Windows. You want the "second" repair option. You will be presented with a screen that allows you to "repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. Make sure one of the new mice is plugged in. Let Windows do its thing. Your files, emails etc. will all be safe, but you will need to run Windows Update over and over and over...

If it does not work, then I would replace the motherboard.

Good luck!

Tony

It's easy to just boot with a linux cd to see if the mouse will work. That would check the hardware. Ubuntu, Suse and many others have cd's (or iso's that you can download)that will run linux without installing it on your hard drive. If it does detect, then the mouse drivers are at fault on your system.
Assuming the mouse works under linux, it would point to an issue with the windows setup. There are lots of possibilities.. another device causing an conflict, software drivers, etc. Reloading windows is an option but I think I'd try deleting the mouse device and driver first to see if it would work without going to all the effort of a complete reload.

Thank you everyone for all the swift responses, looks like I will have a busy Saturday. Hopefully something here will resolve the issue at hand, if not I guess there is always pen, paper and stamps. (That was a brain lapse, that thing will be fixed come hell or high water..LOL)

It's easy to just boot with a linux cd to see if the mouse will work

That is of course, if you HAVE a Linux CD. Bart PE would work too but you have to own/make one.

One thing I did not mention is when in BIOS, select "Optimize default setting" or "Optimum Default" or something like that.

You don't mention what you were doing when it quit, could someone have monkeyed with any settings?

I think I'd try deleting the mouse device and driver first

Yes that is a good idea. To do this w/o a mouse use Windows Key>Arrow Up to Run>Enter>Type devmgmt.msc >Enter>Tab>Arrow Down to Mouse>Right Arrow to Device>Delete>Enter>Esc out then the 3-finger salute to reboot.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back