Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mouse doesn't work on desktop and javascript is not being read

Status
Not open for further replies.

cursor101

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
my mouse refuses to interact with my desktop in almost anyway. the only thing that works is the right click and that only works when i have selected something with the keyboard. other than that my mouse works fine in windows and the start menu. at the same time internet explorer refuses to read javascript. particuarly script that pertain to opening new windwos but there are exceptions. on a side note my windows media player ceases to function as well saying that there is a internal application error but i'm not too worried about it. this all started to happen around the time that i had uninstalled norton 2004 and the farcry demo.

This could be malware related(some of the porblems)
run through the malware faq below and post back with any remaining issues.

Looking for the best answers:
faq222-2244
Keeping your system clear of malware:
faq608-4650
Dont forget to post back with the eventual resolution.

that javascript error is preventing me from clicking on those links to the faqs. on a side note the desktop was working again this morning and i know that the only thing that was done was shut my computer for the night (i wrote the post at like 2 or 3 AM) the media player still says application error though

i beleive i have the media player problem under control, but as far as any clue towards my browser not reading javascript, no dice. i know its not spyware and i'm sure that whatever it is is designed purely to disable popup ads although it bleeds over into other uses of the script. case in point, the rollover animation on the navbar at adultswim.com no longer works. also any links to FAQ's or other threads on this particular sites appear to be useless because they mostly appear to be written in javascript

no, i've never setup a firewall ever on my desktop. and for the record my media player is still malfunctioning with the application error. updating doesn't help so i'm considering whiping it clean from the registry. and thank you for posting the faq in a html link as opposed to a javascript one.

If you have been surfing without any firewall then that FAQ link may prove interesting.

Do you actually have any Java software installed on your machine? SP1a no longer supports Microsoft Java VM. An alternative to Java VM is Sun Java.

Java not working
Thread779-538512

( Copy and paste with the front of).tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?spid=779&sqid=538512&newpid=779 )

If you repair Windows that will revert back to the version of WMP that was installed on your XP CD. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

i installed sun java and set it up as my default console but i still can't get any javascript to work. no improvements in any way

i did a repair installation of windows and that fixed everything. media player javascript and all. thanks a lot for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back