Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MOUSE DOES NOT WORK 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

clivo

Vendor
May 19, 2000
ZA
Visit site
I have a serial mouse which does not work (Win98 SE). The OS does not report that there is no mouse, yet no pointer is displayed.

Device Manager reports that: "this device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the file VMOUSE.VXD that loads the drivers for the device (code 8). To fix this problem run SETUP.EXE from your Windows CD"

Needless to say this has been done with the same result.

BOOTLOG.TXT shows that mouse driver has been loaded (status is complete). However, INIT MOUSE fails because no driver is loaded.

The mouse has been removed from Device Manager and the computer restarted, serial mouse found and drivers installed. No error messages and still no pointer.
The mouse does work in safe mode, so it is driver related.

Any ideas?
[sig]<p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>[/sig]

Once Windows has booted, go to control panel/system/device manager and have a look there (I realise that this is difficult without a mouse, but it can be done). Remove the mouse, reboot and see if Windows detects it and re-installs. I suspect that it may have been installed twice.

[sig][/sig]

As already mentioned, on removing it and re-booting, it does re-install, without any problem, except that there is still no mouse. Not even a frozen pointer. The reason seems to be the system's refusal, for some reason, to load VMOUSE.VXD

incidentally, the same process occurs if I connect a PSII mouse, it is identified and installed, but ... no mouse. Device manager displays the exact same message relating to VMOUSE.VXD
[sig]<p>Clive<br><a href=mailto:clive@digitalsky.co.za>clive@digitalsky.co.za</a><br><a href= > </a><br>[/sig]

whenever I get those annoying vxd-errors I reinstall my windows (or reboot into linux). I´ve never seen the mouse vxd fail before but I suppose it´s just a matter of time.
I suppose it doesn´t matter which com-port you put your mouse in?
Is there some way you can load a vxd-file after bootup (in windows)?

[sig]<p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Thanks guys, problem solved.

In SYSTEM.INI, under [386.Enh], the line which should be
&quot;mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd&quot; was corrupt and full of gibberish.

The odd thing is that a re-install did not correct it (not a clean re-install), nor did PCRESTOR.EXE. I simply deleted the line, re-booted and hey presto, the mouse is present.

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Thanks again

I had the same errors only my system.ini file had gibberish at the top and the mouse=vmouse line was OK, anyway, deleted the gibberish and after reboot mouse was back.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back