Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse Button Too Sensitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

btreloar

Technical User
May 7, 2002
I have a Microsoft wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0. Suddenly it's clicking on links as I scroll over them without me intending to press a button. In Firefox, I find the right-button menu popping up unexpectedly ... and with increasing frequency. I suppose I might have some miniscule pressure on the button, but it feels as if the mouse is detecting button presses when there aren't any.

Is there a way to adjust this sensitivity?

Look in the Intellipoint user's guide. TweakUI powertoy has an adjustment for scroll sensitivity, but that's it. Chances are you will adapt to it with a little use.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks, Tony,

This is not a new mouse -- I've been using it for a year or two, and am well adapted to it. The problem is that this is new behavior, and the sensitivity is extreme. I swear it right clicks on web pages with no finger resting on the right button.

Maybe I need to contact Microsoft tech support for an updated driver?

Hmmm...thanks for the clarification. Mice are not really that high-tech of a device; chances are that whatever provides resistance to the button (a spring, the plastic itself, etc.) has worn out a bit, thus not providing enough (or any) resistance. I somehow doubt a driver would fix the issue, but worth a try. I'd say if you've been using it for two years then it might be time for a replacement.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Yeah, perhaps I should replace it. I love my Logitech wired keyboard and Microsoft wireless mouse, but have been thinking about getting a combination wireless duo. Maybe it's time. Too bad -- this is the most comfortable mouse I've used.

if you like it, get another one, although the 2.0 has been replaced by th 3.0 and 4.0. It seems whenever I find a piece of hardware or software I really like it gets replaced by "the next great thing" and I'm forced to get used to it. Best of luck.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back