Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse and keyboard not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlayneRTFM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
CA
Compaq Presario 5430ca
XP Home
1.6GHz P4
256 DDR
60 GB HDD

I am looking at a Compaq system that boots up fine but you cannot use the mouse or keyboard - which makes it real fun to work with! The keyboard works fine during post - you can get into bios and boot options. But once windows loads, nothing.

I have tried last known good config. and safe mode with same results. But here's the thing - the owners said they were browsing the net when they got a "Do you want to..." prompt and they clicked on "ok". They then said they got another prompt to hit F10, which they did (sigh!) and that was it.

I assumed they got a cute little virus so I put the drive into another system and ran Norton 2004, Mcafee and AVG antivirus - but they find nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

is it ps2 or usb kb/mouse? if USB make sure that you've enabled USB support in the bios... if ps2 try a usb kbd/mouse :)

I have tried both usb and ps2 for each device - still get nothing.

Not sure what else to try.

hmm, looks like you might have to reinstall your keyb + mouse drivers...

sounds like something wiped your windows support for those things.

You can try to manually re-install the drivers, i.e. copy them from another system, but I'd recommend reinstall since you don't know what else that thing wiped out...

However try to get rid of the virus first...

I was working on a system a couple months back where the keyboard wasn't working after the post, and I found that it was completely in the bios, and after I messed around in there for a little while, I did figure it out. I don't remeber for sure, but I think that it worked out that I had to do something else besides enabling USB support for the keyboard, but I never did have problems with the mouse. Just go through all the different screens in bios and change one thing at a time for everything that looks like it is for the keyboard or mouse. Also, as a way to help, have it so bios halts on all errors. It will then prompt you to continue if there is an error on either the keyboard or floppy drive, and if you can figure out the keyboard, the mouse should follow along to road to working.

Smar969905

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back