Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mouse and keyboard are wonky

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpinetech

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
CA
i have an odd problem. ever so often my mouse would revert to a different mode. this is what happens. when i click on a file it highlights.. when i click on another file it highlights. the previous file remains highlighted. I cannot open programs which are minimized, i would have to right click and select "restore". also my keyboard keys respond by opening things up. Lets just say i were to type in notepad, the words wouldn't display but the keys that i hit would open config panels, or programs.

this is getting anoying. i would have to reboot once that happens cause i can't figure the beast out. ive looking in keyboard and mouse in the control panel, with no luck.

ryan

Probably a silly question but have you done a check for viruses and/or spyware?

BJ

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try the free version of "Ewido"

Windows Defender

Do you have another Keyboard you can try, are there any updated drivers for your current one, is it connected securely?

Do you see this problem in Safe Mode, or if you are logged on as another user?

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Hi, Ryan

Excellent suggestions by BJ & Linney.

However, if your mouse &/ KB are wireless you might also check for low batteries, location of sending unit and possible sources of interference.

Try contact cleaner on connectors.

make sure cables are not crimped, cut or overly extended.

Is this system overclocked?

Jock

hi..
this reply is a little late..
i ran a spyware check with spybot and adaware.. found a few and removed them. i ran bitdefender and AntiVir Guard antivirus programs. and found some.. the problem still persists. im just wondering if its a key on the board that im hitting that is changing the mode to something else.

i will run antivirus again. thanks for the reply..
i am going to checkout the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back