Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting samba shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eidolen

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
US
Hi,
I Just set up a Mandrake 7.2 file server for our office. The other o/s's accessing the server are, win98, win2k, ME, and linux another copy of Mdk 7.2. Some machines are multi boot. (1 machine in particular is win2k, ME, and linux)

I set up Samba with little hassle, but still want to tweak for some security issues. All my 2K machines are woking great finding the correct shares on the server. I haven't started with the other o/s's yet, but don't forsee to many problems there. (crosses fingers)

My question is, how do I mount the Samba shares on my file server to reflect what windows,linux shares are availible on the network. Keeping in mind that, some machines may change thier o/s's through-out the day.

Would the command be a part of the fstab file? Do I need a custom script calling a cron job to update the network shares periodically? (I've never written a script) Is there a program out there that does this already, and fianly is are there any inherent security risks in doing this?

As of now, I have a 2K box running winproxy as a proxy/firewall to a Starband Internet connection. I have ftp forwarding enabled through winproxy to point to my Linux box. Very soon we will have 1/2 a T-1 installed and I plan to get a Lynksys (sp?) router and use my linux box as the gateway for the network with 2 nic cards.

Just wanted to give my layout for anyone wanting to answer the security question, Sorry for the long text. Any help configuring my Samba shares on my Linux box would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Eidolen

My question is, how do I mount the Samba shares on my file
server to reflect what windows,linux shares are availible on the
network. Keeping in mind that, some machines may change thier
o/s's through-out the day.

Mounting the remote windows shares to be accessable on the Linux box is a different thing from showing what is available. You need to know it is available to mount it. So, first, to mount a windows share on the Linux box you don't even need the samba daemons. Just use the mount command and specify an smbfs file system type

mount -t smbfs ...

You may need to provide a password in the options list within the mount command. And, yes, you can put this in the fstab file.

I am not sure how to show what windows shares are available on the network from the Linux box, however... I would go to the samba web site and pose the question to the mailing list there. They are very knowledgable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back