Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting directory from another host on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciralia

Programmer
Oct 22, 2002
US
Can someone tell me how to mount a directory from another host on startup? I know I might have to edit the /etc/vfstab file.

Lets say my current computer name is george, and I want to mount the /util directory from host name leonard onto the /util directory here on george. I know how to mount it myself without having it mount on startup:

mount leonard:/util /util

But how do I make this command happen during startup?

Also I forgot to mention, I was told I can use a nameserver to do this. But I'm still not sure how to set up a slave server, even though I have the ip and name of the master.

The /util directory must be shared on the host server.
Create a /util mount point on your server.
Edit /etc/vfstab as follows using a tab or space between each entry. Remember there must be 7 entries per line in /etc/vfstab.

<hostserver>:/util - /util nfs 2 yes -

Run command "mountall" to verify /etc/vfstab is correct. You should be able to go to /util and see the files.

I suggest a
Code:
<hostserver>:/util - /util nfs [b]-[/b] yes -
since you can't run a fsck on a remote FS...

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back