Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting Another SCO Boxes filesystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

snight123

Technical User
Mar 12, 2007
GB
HI all,

I have 2 Sco OSR 5.0.6 Boxes i want to be able to mount the filesystem (root) off box A, on box B so that i can copy files between the two machines without needing to write them to tape all the time.

Can this be done? I have looked in the man pages and manuals but with no joy.

Thanks

I can ftp to the other box, but how do i copy a directory and all the files in it from the box i have ftp'd into, to the machine i have ftp'd from?

Perhaps make a tar file of the directory contents, ftp that (maybe zipping it first) and untar on the other side.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Hi,

The directories that i need to be able to copy from one machine to another contain about 15-20GB of data. so a command like cp /data (on remote sco box) /drv2/data (on the local sco box) would be ideal but i cant use cp in ftp.

Thanks

Is samba a possibility? Not sure about SCO, but others probably will be.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

This seems like a good fit for NFS. My favorite method, however, is to set up a little script on the receiving machine, then drive the copy from the sending machine. You would need "user equivalence" between the boxes to accomplish this.

On the receiving box, create a script called "get.remote":
Code:
umask 0
cd /{destination path}
tar xf -

Put that file in /usr/local/bin and make it executable.

On the sending system, run this command:
# cd /{source path}
# umask 0
# tar cvf - .|rcmd remotesystem /usr/local/bin/get.remote

All the normal disclaimers apply. Try this first as a non-root user. Make certain the destination directory on the receiving machine doesn't contain important files you hadn't planned to over-write. Etc., etc.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Hi motoslide,

Thanks for the information. I'll give it a go in the morning and see how i get on.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back