Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting a tape for scanning - that is not in media index

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmg

Technical User
Sep 13, 2001
NZ
We sometimes have a need to do a restore from a tape that is not in the media index (eg from another Legato server that was migrated from a while ago). The problem is that, when we attempt to mount the tape (using the NT Gui), NetWorker says that the tape isn't in the media index and then spits it back out into the autochanger which means we can't scan it in so it is in the media index.

We found a way around this by inserting the tape manually into a drive and then running the scan command. The problem with that is that the autochanger/legato then get extremely confused and we end up having to power cycle the autochanger and perform a software reset from Legato to get it all going again.

I found these commands from 'rgzimmer' in another post and wondered if this will help us load the tape into a drive via Legato so it knows what is going on or will it continue to spit the tape out.

>nsrjb -lnv -f \\.\Tape0 {Tape Label} --- Loads the tape >into the first drive
>
>scanner -iv \\.\Tape0 --- scans the data in.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Excellent - thanks for that rgzimmer - I'll pass that information on to our operations guys right away!

you don't mount the tape...just ready it....i've used scanner several times and I just ready the tape and then
use scanner

The problem is getting the tape into a drive that's inside a jukebox. If you use the GUI, Networker tries to mount it. You have to use a command prompt to get the tape loaded, but not mounted before you can use scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back