Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting a snapview clone on the primary with HP LVM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyRt

MIS
Jan 11, 2006
US
I'm looking to mount a snapview clone on the same system as the primary copy. The volume manager is LVM from HP.

We were able to do something like this using Veritas Volume Manager on SUN system. We made two BCV copies off a primary and mounted both on a secondary server. There was a command in Veritas to rename the volume ID. Is there something like this in LVM?

We also were able to use Veritas Flashsnap on a SUN SAN and could mount the flash copy on the same server. Does SnapView have this functionality?

Many Thanks.

Snapview does not have the same functionality as Flashsnap nor does HPUX VM. You really should never mount snaps to the same host to protect its data primary and snap.

There was a command in Veritas to rename the volume ID. Is there something like this in LVM?

yes, take a look to [tt]vgchgid[/tt] in HP-UX (man vgchgid)

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

BTW, about "We also were able to use Veritas Flashsnap on a SUN SAN and could mount the flash copy on the same server. Does SnapView have this functionality?"..

you should be able to do ti with PPVM (PowerPath Volume Manager).

Cheers.

Chacal, Inc.[wavey]

It looks like PPVM is no longer being supported with PowerPath 4.5.

I found a solution on the Veritas Web site:

It does require purchasing a foundation suite license.

I wound up mounted the snaps on another system and are backing them up from there. The reason I initially wanted to mount the snaps back on the same server was not to have the additional expense(I needed to purchase a system and move the autoloader from the server to this system. I also now have to backup the rest of the server over the network to the server that has the tape drive attached) I needed to use snaps to decrease the system downtime (it needed to be down during the entire backup (Cobol/ISAM based)), after doing the snaps it is down for minutes instead of hours.

Thanks to all who posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back