Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounted Directory Permissions Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 22, 2007
US
I mounted a Windows 2000 server shared directory called Public onto a Linux computer running Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES kernal 2.6.9-42. I can copy/move files into the directory from the Linux box only when I am running as root. When I am an ordinary user on the Linux box, I'm denied permission. The Windows Public directory is shared out with full privleges to the Everyone group both locally and on the domain. I've tried creating an account on the Windows box with the same login/password as the ordinary user on the Linux box with full rights to the Public directory but it still fails. From the Linux box, I tried as root to chown and chmod on the mounted Public directory to the ordinary user but it wouldn't change anything. I suppose because it was a mounted directory. I still shows:

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4096 Jan 6 16:19 Public

If I create a directory on the Linux box and make the owner the ordinary user, as soon as it is made the mount directory, the rights become what you see above again.

I've heard of linking an Unix/Linux account with a Windows account using the command smbadduser but it wasn't on my Linux distribution.

What can I do to give the ordinary user on the Linux box permission to copy/move files to the mounted Public directory?

Try using the uid= and gid= mount options to specify who will "own" the files on that filesystem when it is mounted.

Annihilannic.

Thanks, I have it working now.....The key was to mount it using CIFS and including the username/password for the ordinary user that would become the owner of the mount point with the needed rights......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back