Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mount more IDE in IBM x205

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2003
AU
My IBM x205 has 7 bays: I have the CDROM, CD_Burner,Floppy, 2 hard disks, they are mount as the followings
BAY 1 = CDROM
Bay 2 = CD burner
Bay 3 = FDD
Bay 4 = empty, it is a FDD space
Bay 5 = empty, it is a hard disk space
Bay 6 = HDD 3(primary)
Bay 7 = HDD 4(second hard disk)
There is some space at the botom of the comptuer with some black and purple rack. It is said for SCSI adapters.

What I want is: buy PCI IDE adapters to add 4 more IDE hard disk for RAID5. But I cannot find more space inside. I am wondering, is it possible to remove the stuff for SCSI adapters to get more space, then find some thing (IDE rack?) to mount the additional IDE hard disk?

You are working in the wrong direction IDE HDDs were never intended to run 24x7 and don't make a very convincing RAID solution. Rather than buying another IDE controller, consider purchasing a RAID controller and SCSI HDDs. Before buying anything, take a look at IBM's Server Proven compatibility page for the x205, and use that as your guide for what you install in your server. When things go wrong (call it a hunch), you'll need to call IBM Support, and if it ain't on Server Proven, you will be removing it for them to help you. Server Proven Compatibility for your x205 is accessible at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back