Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mount cdrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob1

Programmer
Jul 18, 2003
US
How do I mount cdrom in a sun solaris server? this may sound basic to a lot but I am new to Sun, thanks.

How do I create the mount point for the cdrom, please - I tried using the "mount -o ro /dev/dsk/c***** /mnt/cdrom" command but it will not work, it said the /mntcdrom mount point does not exist - help!

Create the directory (as root).

mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom

Then try the command again.

hth

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by - Douglas Adams

Hi, if it is Solaris 8, there should be a 'vold' daemon running which by itself mounts the CDROM. If it is not getting mounted automatically on /cdrom/cdrom0.
If you want to restart the daemon, you can do
ps -ef | grep vold and kill it. To start it again,
/etc/init.d/volmgt start

In case you have to mount it manually,

mkdir /tmp/cdrom
mount -F hsfs /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 /tmp/cdrom (In most solaris bboxes it is on target 6)

Out of all the replies SamirSolaris'a reply is the best& correct. I wonder why people can just write anything as reply ..!!!

The same problem and after:

mkdir /tmp/cdrom
mount -F hsfs /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 /tmp/cdrom

I get (although cdrom has ID 6):

mount: /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0s0 not a block device

What is wrong?

Can you post the output of la -la /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0s0 please?

By the way, how rude was SBSaika in his last post - dreadful attitude to those trying to help!

I'm sorry... there is some mess. I get:

mkdir /tmp/cdrom
mount -F hsfs /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 /tmp/cdrom

mount: /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0 is already mounted, /tmp/cdrom is busy, or allowable number of mount points is exceeded

Can you see /tmp/cdrom in a df -k listing? BTW, not usually adviseable to mount under /tmp (in my opinion).

I'm sorry for silly question.
It was problem with CD disk (unreadable). :)

No silly questions if you don't know the answer! - thanks for letting us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back