Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggray41

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
I installed a dvd drive and a soundblasterlive 5.1. When i turn the computer back on i heard a humming noise. i opened the case and observed my fan sticking. the computer booting completely up before i opened the case and screwed it up. I cleaned the fan but it did not stop the noise. SO i got the bright ideal and place an old fan on the processor and it starting spinning but the computer stopped at the dos prompt. i tried to reboot but no reboot. the fan came of a amd 500 chip.

i have a 1.2 gig duron
300+ memory
ati video card all-in-one 32mb
80 gig harddrive
xp-professional
via motherboard
300 watt powr supply
when i try to boot, the power supply is blowing,the drive light up, but i have no video, i tried a different monitor, and a different video card.(same result)
there are no beep coming from the motherboard.

Replace the fan/heatsink assembly with one that is rated for your proccessor. The one you have on there is not good enough.One of 2 things could be happening: 1- your proccessor overheated and fried, or 2- the mainboard is looking for a proper fan and won't proceed untill you have one.
Good luck... If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back